Friday, October 9, 2009

We need challenge sometimes

We're hitting the prime of autumn now.  Already 13 days into October and it's perfect time to stay challenged.  Don't know about many of you, but the change of seasons is always a special time for me.  Time to turn a new leaf, or stick with one that's been working, or reflect on behaviors...  Kicking off the season with a trip to Iceland was no joke.  The starkness of the land combined with its drama allowed for some internal brew to take place.  Then I came back to officiate the marriage of some dear friends.  What an amazing opportunity to get over yourself and simply provide the support and guidance for other people on their journey for love!  Since then, I've settled into October with an open mind to keep doing things that scare me and keep challenging my limits.  
In the three years since teaching at Karma Yoga Studio, I have never not taught a Saturday morning class.  So my decision to take a break from teaching that class was not easy.  But, it's been great to allow myself some time on weekends to explore...other classes, other modes of learning, and also rest when I need it.  October is teaching me that so far.  I received my first shiatsu massage.  I slept in on a Saturday!  I took someone else's vinyasa class.  And, I took my first master yoga class with the brilliantly lovely Natasha Rizopolous.  She had us doing arm balances for 2 hours that I never tend to test my limits in regularly.  Sore the next day, it felt so good to be challenged.  
I also discovered a new yoga studio that opened in my neighborhood.  Why is this challenging?  Because over a year ago, that was the goal I have had.  However, without the funding and means to truly dive into such a venture...it's been challenging to let go and realize that someone else was meant to do it.  Now having been there and experiencing it, it's an awesome place.  And I look forward to possibly teaching there and adding to the community with them on their journey.  
The challenges keep coming.  I'll be singing with my band for the first time at an open mic coming up.  Scary!  And hopefully finding more opportunities in teaching and beyond, on the mat and beyond, that will guide me to a place where the winter will seem like a piece of cake.  

1 comment:

tejasmama said...

thanks for sharing jenn and for this healthy reminder of the different forms that challenge takes... ;}