Sunday, November 20, 2011

Pose of the moment: Headstand




Sirsasana: Brings fresh blood to the brain to rejuvenate brain cells.  Refreshes the pituitary and pineal glands, increasing hemoglobin in blood, which might then improve memory. :)
Also releases muscles in upper back, works your core, spreads the scapulae, strengthens shoulders/arms, and can just feel great!

I've been trying to practice this pose every day for the last month or so, and plan to keep that going (minus when I'm on my moon cycle).  It has been helping me conquer all sorts of crazy things.  Some including:
-the physical fear of going upside down, which after giving birth increased two-fold, as I had to regain my strength, and also know that I won't hurt myself in the pose
-emotional fears...oh so many.  this pose allows you to literally turn yourself upside down to gain new perspective when moody, stressed, depressed, or the like.
-mental fears/intellectual fears (stemming from this new role of mommyhood among other things)

Do you see a pattern here?  Yep, fear.  I've been seeing lots of other teachers talking about fear these days.  Must be the season?  At least we have poses like headstand to help us get over ourselves and bring us empowerment and confidence as well as physical benefits.  Yeah yoga!

I encourage you all to find your own "pose of the moment" or try this one this week as we enter the holiday season.  You might need it.  ;)

Happy Thanksgiving!

**if you've never practiced headstand before, I would consult a teacher's help first to make sure alignment is correct and that you won't hurt yourself.  If you're semi-practiced in it...start at the wall first! That's what I did at about 6 months post partum, to start getting back into it.  Gradually, you'll get strong enough to move away from the wall and try a variety of sirsasana styles.

No comments: