Sunday, May 27, 2012

Holiday Weekend Sun Salutation breakdown

Happy (U.S.) Holiday weekend!  I hope wherever you are, that you are enjoying the weather and doing things that nourish your spirit.  I am lucky enough to be in one of my favorite places, Nantucket, visiting family and friends.  Already got a fantastic Thai Massage from the very healing, Sandy.  And just took Paul's Yin Yoga class at The Yoga Room.  One more day to enjoy the peace and nature here, which is even more fun now that Isak is walking and playing about!
Thanks to Heather M. for requesting that I do a little sun salutation demo.  I highly suggest learning in person from an experienced teacher so they can watch your specific body alignment, but there are tons and tons of books and media out there with a variety of sun salutation/vinyasa versions.  And for those of you that aren't familiar...vinyasa is a style of yoga that usually blends a conglomeration of different hatha yoga styles together in a way that connects the poses with the movement of the breath.  And within a vinyasa class, the teacher might say, "take a vinyasa" in which you would then typically perform one of these sun salutation variations that I demo.  (That's the most elementary explanation I have about it.)  That being said, there are also many creative teachers out there and lots of fun ways to incorporate vinyasa into a class.  I strive to do this myself, but I usually do warm-up the class with one of these basic salutes.  

--The first 2 sun salutations in this demo are the more basic, beginner-friendly versions.  Also good for post-natal, or anyone who is trying to regain strength again after being away from yoga for a bit.  

--The next few that I show are more advanced, with chaturanga dandasana and upward facing dog.

*Remember that every body is different and unique.  It's best to listen to what your specific body needs are and focus on the proper alignment.  Some people can overdo the vinyasas and cause injury, especially in the shoulder joint.  As always, be mindful.  Om, om.  

Happy unofficial start to the summer, and thanks for reading/viewing!
xoxo--Jenn



No comments: