Saturday, October 20, 2012

Iceland Trip!

My husband and I took our son on his first international trip last week to Iceland.  We arrived on our 2nd wedding anniversary and were greeted by the northern lights from the plane!  It was my 4th visit to this special country, and it gets better each time!  Our Isak fits right in and seemed so happy to be experiencing it.  We are grateful for the chances to travel and to explore places that mean something to us as a family.
The first two days were in Reykjavik to sit in cafes, look at the shops, wander the streets, explore the art, and do some yoga!  I was happy to be back practicing at the Yoga Shala and took a great class with Geir.  Really wished I could have done yoga everyday with all of the wonderful Icelandic yogis I'm in touch with...however with a toddler, limited time to see things, and my family's needs, that didn't happen.  Much better reason to plan our next trip!
After some city time, we headed 2 1/2 hours north to the Snaefellsness Peninsula where we stayed for 2 nights in quiet and expansive natural setting.  It's like taking a huge sigh of relief and relaxation away from life's stresses, and awakening to a clear mind again.  Super important to do that at least once a year in my opinion.  We took some glorious hikes, ate delicious food, met super wonderful people, and meditated while gazing at one of the chakras of the world--the Snaefellsjokull glacier!  I can hardly wait to organize my next Iceland Yoga Vacation.  Lots of wheels turning and ideas culminating...
On our 3rd day in the countryside, we drove another hour or so north to the most remote place I've been to yet:  the Fellstrond peninsula, just before you hit the West Fjords.  Our friend, Oskar, was there and we had a super nice lunch visit with him.  And then took off on our late afternoon drive back to Reykjavik.  Gorgeous.
On our last morning, we took Isak to swim and soak in one of the geothermal heated swimming pools and hot pots.  He loved it, of course!  We then spent the last few hours getting coffee and wandering one last time before heading off to the airport.  I feel at such ease in Iceland.  More willing to create, to be more expressive, and so open to the surroundings.  Hoping to keep this feeling into the winter season, and into my yoga classes.  Stay tuned for new playlists, workshops, and such coming soon...



Dancing Ganesh!

Isak in Reykjavik

A wonderful yogic graffiti image

Driving north!  And with my new haircut.  

Budir, Snaefellsness

He loved all the lava rock.

Daddy leading the way in the moors...

Amazing day.  Amazing hike.

Sunset


Fellstrond Peninsula

A favorite view of Reykjavik


1 comment:

Jenny said...

Looks like a beautiful trip. I love your funky orange thights. You can pull that off!!!! Will check out your playlist! xoxoxox